Monday, December 1, 2014

Tres.

Working on a roof for the first time is scary.

Harness for Safety from High Places
I couldn't stop from splaying on my back onto the particle boards that were nailed into place by previous workers.   Anything to lower the already increased chance of death by gravity.  The scared-for-my-life reflexes left dots of red all along the undersides of my arms and legs, evidently from the rough particle board biting to my skin whenever I had to move.

Hammer and nails.  Lots of hammering, and many nails bent and misshapen.  They were cheap nails, and I would say that given the amount of cheap nails we wasted, could we not have bought more expensive, yet more easier-to-drive-in nails?  A question I would ask every time a nail crooked the wrong way.

Maybe a good 5 hours before I could stand with confidence, and even without the safety of a harness—although the harness is on; others, including me, eventually gets too lazy at the hassle of adjusting the slack or changing the stationary support, BOTH OF WHICH IS CRUCIAL FOR IT TO WORK.  Too much slack, you'll just hit the ground before the harness could pull taut; and without changing the stationary point, you can imagine being the bob at the end of the pendulum swinging down, colliding with a ladder or two and forcing everyone's jaw to drop.

But there it is, some people have done it long enough to really not feel the danger of high places; and here I am, still scared but not enough to overcome the hassle of safety.  Is this not a major source of easily-preventable-accidents?  The extra effort hinders work.  If only safety came without effort.

Can't wait until we have anti-gravity boots or maybe some gravity-deployed forcefield, but would we still be building houses ourselves then?

Safety first.


No comments:

Post a Comment